||TYPE SIZE A+ | A- | Reset
Find books, music, movies, and more
Library Public Code of Conduct
Stratford Public Library encourages every individual in the community to access library resources and services. In order to provide a safe
and welcoming library that operates effectively, efficiently and in accord with Stratford Public Library’s values, every individual on Library
premises is expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the “Library Public Code of Conduct”.
The Library Public Code of Conduct describes what is considered acceptable conduct at the Stratford Library. Furthermore, the Code of
Conduct allows staff to respond consistently and fairly to all users.
Safety of All:
- In the case of fire or other emergency, staff instructions must be followed.
- No smoking or open flame is permitted anywhere inside the Library building.
- Use of sports equipment (rollerblades, skateboards) is prohibited on Library premises.
Bicycles are a welcomed mode of transportation to and from SPL, but should be walked & not ridden, on the Library grounds.
Parking bicycles inside the Library building is not permitted; racks are provided outside.
Safety of Children and Dependent Adults:
- Parents, guardians or caregivers are expected to supervise and care for dependent children and/or adults while on Library
- Members of the library public are expected to act with respect and consideration towards other members of the public and to staff.
Behaviour that is illegal, unsafe, disruptive, intrusive, harassing, threatening or otherwise not appropriate in a public place is not
- Abusive or obscene language is not acceptable.
- Shirts and proper footwear must be worn.
- Food and its consumption are permitted in the Library meeting rooms during approved programs, but not elsewhere or at other
times. The drinking and carrying of water (in a covered container) is acceptable. During Library computer or equipment use,
however, water must be securely stored so as not to pose a spill risk.
- Cellular phones may only be used in the foyer on the Lower Floor, near the bottom of the stairs. Individuals using these devices are
expected to speak quietly and to keep passageways clear for others.
- Deliberate damage, misuse, or theft of Library equipment, material, or property is not permitted. Users agree to open all bags for
inspection by staff, if so requested.
- Animals are not welcome in the Library. However, animals may enter in the Library if they are either :
(a) a Registered Service animal at work, or,
(b) Participating in a Library program organized to accommodate them.
- Photographing, filming, or videotaping at the Library is acceptable only with prior written consent from staff.
- Use of illicit drugs or unauthorized use of alcohol is not permitted on Library premises.
- Posting notices, brochures, or petitions requires Library staff authorization. No direct solicitation of other members of the Library
Public may be conducted on Library premises.
- Staff may regulate the public’s use of space on Library premises, especially if the safety or free movement of others is restricted.
Access to “employee only” areas is prohibited unless authorized by staff.
Library staff endeavour to apply this Library Public Code of Conduct in an equitable manner. When violations occur, staff are obligated to
inform violators of appropriate conduct and to state consequences.
Those persons who do not follow this Library Public Code of Conduct may be subject to the following:
- Exclusion from the Library;
- Suspension of Library privileges;
- Cost-recovery for damages;
Conduct in public libraries is prescribed by various federal, provincial, and municipal pieces of legislation, including (but not restricted to):
- Human Rights Code (Ontario)
- Criminal Code (Canada)
- Child and Family Services Act (Ontario)
- Trespass to Property Act (Ontario)
- Public Libraries Act (Ontario)